Trusted, holistic care for women’s health and fertility
Women have unique health needs—our bodies shift throughout our reproductive years and we need varying support at different life stages. For example:
- Women in their 20s and 30s experiencing acne, PMS, painful periods or migraines
- Women in childbearing years navigating fertility, pregnancy and post-partum
- Women in their 40s and beyond supporting normal transition to menopause
Hormones run not only the reproductive system, but also our experience of stress and fatigue, blood sugar regulation and a whole host of other things. Hormonal imbalances not only affect our sense of wellbeing, but they can intensify chronic pain.
We strive to treat not only your current discomfort or health challenges, but also to lay the groundwork for navigating each hormonal stage with optimum health.
Who we help
We work with women of all ages, across a wide variety of conditions. We are proud of our strong track record in treating conditions such as:
- PMS and painful periods: irritability, cramps, constipation, and insomnia
- PCOS, irregular periods, or lack of period
- Symptoms of menopausal transition such as hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia and/or memory loss
- Recurrent miscarriage, diminished ovarian reserve, unexplained infertility
- Fertility support for couples who want to conceive naturally and those using assisted reproductive technology
- Discomforts of pregnancy, including treatments for nausea, pain, and fatigue
- Pre-birth acupuncture, (A series of 4 treatments from 36 weeks of pregnancy being investigated for its association with a positive birth experience.)
- Postpartum support for milk production, mood swings and general recovery
How acupuncture can help
Acupuncture stimulates multiple body systems at once, including our nervous system and brain, our muscles, and the glands of our endocrine system. It prompts our brain to release more of our own endorphins (feel-good chemicals) and promotes the ‘rest and digest’ mode of our nervous system. When we relax, blood vessels dilate, blood flow improves, our muscles unwind, and the brain gives the body the message that all is well.
These effects are helpful for a wide range of conditions. For example, when women experience a symptom like painful periods, acupuncture promotes blood circulation to the lower abdomen, which can relax uterine contractility as well as dialing down stress hormones and promoting the relaxation response throughout the body.
In the case of fertility, Chinese medicine relates conception to the process of lighting a flame. In this analogy, the body is a vessel that must be sparked to create new life. If there’s not enough oil in the vessel (in the form of nutrition, rest, immune strength, balanced hormones), the flame won’t light. Acupuncture and the system of Chinese medicine uses time-tested tools for evaluating and correcting hormone imbalances.
Your first visit will include a confidential discussion of your personal health journey, including your reproductive goals and medical history, and any previous diagnoses, interventions or concerns. Jeannie will conduct a physical exam that blends both traditional and integrative approaches.
Together, you’ll develop a collaborative care plan that may include a combination of acupuncture, nutritional changes, exercise, herbal medicine, supplements, sleep targets, and other treatments or lifestyle approaches. We use evidence-based treatment strategies that incorporate both modern and traditional medicine.
Our women’s wellness techniques include:
- Exercise and stretching
- Herbs & supplements
- Lifestyle recommendations
- Mindfulness meditation
Common conditions we treat
- Menstrual health and cycle regulation
- Perimenopause and menopause support
- Heavy bleeding
- Irregular bleeding
- Vaginal infections
- Painful periods
- Headaches / Migraines
- Fertility optimization
- Natural fertility support
- ART (IUI + IVF) support
- In many cases of subfertility, male partners are highly encouraged to improve diet and lifestyle and seek treatment from urologists to improve the couples’ odds.
- Prenatal support (nausea, swelling, breech)
- Birth (treatment to promote smooth labor, nursing support)
- Milk production
- Mood swings
- General recovery