Cofounder; Licensed Acupuncturist, Certified Myofascial Pain Therapist
Jonah Hershowitz is a myofascial pain and dry needling expert whose clients include top professional athletes and performing artists.
Jonah is especially known for his treatment of shoulder injuries, neck pain and thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS), temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome, wrist/arm pain and carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), and foot pain, especially plantar fasciitis. Jonah applies over twenty years of hands-on experience and a deep knowledge of neuromyofascial (nerves, muscles, and connective tissue) anatomy and employs a wide range of methods, from manual techniques to electrotherapeutics, ultrasound guided needling, and photobiomodulation.
Jonah began learning effective, low-risk methods of alleviating pain when he was a young child, when he learned massage from his dad and from shiatsu books that were in the house; by his late teens, he had a massage practice, and after college, after discovering the Trigger Point Manual of Janet Travell, MD, Jonah decided to pursue studies in acupuncture and dry needling and never looked back, continually expanding his knowledge and areas of expertise through mentorships and work experiences in China, Italy, and throughout the United States. He lives in San Francisco with his beloved wife Kristen and their darling dog Mylo, and enjoys traveling, hiking, reading, political activism, learning languages, and playing musical instruments.
Jonah maintains numerous professional affiliations and was the founding president of the San Francisco chapter of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM). Jonah co-conducted a randomized controlled trial (RCT) on electroacupuncture analgesia at the Stanford Pain Lab in collaboration with UVM that was presented at the World Congress of Pain in Buenos Aires and at the Society for Acupuncture Research conference held at Harvard Medical School. He teaches in the AOM Professional Integrative Acupuncture Orthopedics & Sports Medicine program and has lectured at conferences, hospitals, and for corporate audiences.
- California Board Acupuncture License #AC9538
- Member, Society for Acupuncture Research (SAR)
- Member, Academy of Integrative Pain Management (AIPM)
- Founding President, San Francisco Chapter of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM)
- Member, International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
- Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MTCM), Five Branches Institute, Santa Cruz / Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, San Diego
- Certified Myofascial Pain Therapist, Janet G. Travell, MD Myopain Dry Needling Series, Bethesda, MD and Wasilla, AK
- Low Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT) Certification, Meditech International, Toronto, Canada
- One-Year Certificate, Integrative Musculoskeletal Medicine with Dr. Alon Marcus (award-winning author and teacher)
- Interdisciplinary Rounds, Pacific Pain Treatment Center, Elliot Krames, MD (world-renowned pain pioneer, founding editor of Neuromodulator.
- Clinical Internship and Lecture Program, Chengdu Hospital and University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Sichuan, China
- Practice and Teaching, Centro Shen Clinic and Ascalese Hospital, Naples, Italy
- Professional Bodywork Certification (including advanced Tui Na, Shiatsu, Thai, Deep Tissue, and Circulatory massage), Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, San Diego
- Undergraduate Studies, Wesleyan University, Connecticut