One of the top myofascial pain and dry needling experts in the US
Jonah brings to his work over 25 years of clinical experience treating muscle pain along with extensive knowledge of pain science, neuromuscular and fascial anatomy, and integrative treatment modalities for pain. He leads our Virtual Pain Consultation program, designed to support chronic pain patients and health providers around the world.
Jonah’s patients include top professional athletes, performing artists, and business leaders. He’s known for his expertise in how pain functions, his gentle, caring approach and his ability to understand his patients’ situations, and to help them understand what is happening with their bodies, putting them on firm footing on the road to relief and well being.
Jonah is a myofascial pain expert with a reputation for resolving difficult, chronic pain conditions, including persistent neck, back, and hip pain; thoracic outlet syndrome (TOS), temporomandibular joint (TMJ) syndrome, wrist/arm pain and carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS), as well as foot pain.
In his Virtual Pain Consultations, Jonah offers expert medical reviews, therapeutic recommendations and instructions, and pain coaching / education either as a single appointment, or in ongoing virtual visits.
Teaching & Research Experience
In addition to his clinical experience, Jonah teaches other practitioners and has conducted pain science research. He is currently developing pain education programs for other clinicians and patients.
- Co-conducted a randomized controlled trial (RCT) on electroacupuncture analgesia at the Stanford Pain Lab in collaboration with UVM.
- Presented at the World Congress of Pain in Buenos Aires and at the Society for Acupuncture Research conference held at Harvard Medical School.
- Taught in the AOM Professional Integrative Acupuncture Orthopedics & Sports Medicine program.
- Has lectured at professional conferences, hospitals, and for corporate audiences.
Jonah maintains numerous professional affiliations and was the founding president of the San Francisco chapter of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM).
Myofascial Pain and Injury Science
- Certified Myofascial Pain Therapist (DN-III), Janet G. Travell, MD Myopain Dry Needling Series (with Jan Dommerholt)
- One-Year Certificate, Integrative Musculoskeletal Medicine with Dr. Alon Marcus (award-winning author and teacher; course series organized by Jonah)
- Interdisciplinary Rounds, Pacific Pain Treatment Center, Elliot Krames, MD (world-renowned pain pioneer, founder and editor in 1998 of the journal Neuromodulation).
- Level I Certificate, Fascial Manipulation (with Antonio Stecco, MD)
- Member, International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
- Member, American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM)
- Member, American Chronic Pain Association (ACPA)
- Member, World Institute of Pain (WIP)
- Member, Academy of Integrative Pain Management (AIPM) (defunct)
Integrative Medicine and Acupuncture
- California Board Acupuncture License #AC9538
- Founding President, San Francisco Chapter of the Academy of Integrative Health and Medicine (AIHM)
- Member, Society for Acupuncture Research (SAR)
- Low Intensity Laser Therapy (LILT) Certification, Meditech International, Toronto, Canada
- Clinical Internship and Lecture Program, Chengdu Hospital and University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Sichuan, China
- Masters in Traditional Chinese Medicine (MTCM), Five Branches Institute, Santa Cruz / Pacific College of Health and Science, San Diego
- Professional Bodywork Certification (including advanced Tui Na, Shiatsu, Thai, Deep Tissue, and Circulatory massage), Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, San Diego
- Co-founder San Francisco Acupuncture Group
- Founder, Roots & Blossoms Medicine
- Acupuncture Provider and Program Director, Providence House, Oakland
- Acupuncturist, Centro Shen Clinic, Naples, Italy
- Acupuncturist for Low-Income Clinic, Ascalese Hospital, Naples, Italy