Pain and Dry Needling Specialist
Michael Volk combines his passion and experience with a systems approach to help people overcome pain and restore function
Michael Volk brings 30+ years of clinical experience treating musculoskeletal pain and is an expert in dry needling, trigger point treatment and Sports Medicine Acupuncture.
He is known for helping people recover from injury and surgery, his musculoskeletal expertise and his uplifting, encouraging spirit. You can count on him to find a way to help you out of pain.
Michael specializes in sports medicine. While these techniques were developed to treat elite athletes, he has found the approach helpful for patients wishing to regain muscular strength and function after surgery or injury.
Michael’s broad background in acupuncture and integrative medicine, which includes intensive study in China, gives him a range of healing resources to draw upon.
Michael was an early practitioner of integrative and sports medicine acupuncture. He began his study of Chinese medicine and philosophy in the mid-1980’s while living as an exchange student in Taipei, Taiwan. Michael holds a degree in Chinese Language and Literature from Oberlin College, and completed a course of studies at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in addition to an eight-year integrative clinical apprenticeship.
In 1998 Michael co-founded the Acupuncture Department at the Gerald Phelps Community Hospital in Garberville, California. He was certified in Sports Medicine Acupuncture (C.SMA) in 2011.
Myofascial Pain and Injury Science
- C.SMA – 2 year post graduate program focused on techniques for treating pain, with particular attention to treating elite athletes.
- Member, Academy of Integrative Pain Management (AIPM) (now defunct)
- Member, International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP)
- DN-I Certification, Janet G. Travell, MD Myopain Series, Bethesda, MD
Integrative Medicine and Acupuncture
- California Board License #AC7016
- Member, Society for Acupuncture Research (SAR)
- Advanced Shiatsu Studies with Suzanne Shaw, Heartwood Institute, 1992
- Clinical Internship and Observation, Beijing University of Chinese Medicine (北京中医药大学, 1990)
- Didactic Studies with Dr. Woo Hui Lien, Author of Practical Applied Acupuncture, one of the first acupuncture textbooks in English taking a more modern and scientific approach to the subject, Taipei, Taiwan, 1985
- Comprehensive Training in Neuro-Acupuncture, Certificate Level 1, Neuro-Acupuncture Institute, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Certificate, Neurofeedback in Clinical Practice, EEG Education and Research, Granada Hills, CA
- Specialty Care Provider, Office of Dr Hattori, MD, Pain Management Specialist, San Francisco, CA
- Co-Founder, Clinical Director, Coast Family Acupuncture, Fort Bragg, CA
- Redwoods Rural Health Center, Garberville CA, Manager of Herbal Medicine Department/Pharmacy, Acupuncture Department Program Manager. 1991-95
- Acupuncture Provider, Cancer Support Sonoma, Sonoma Valley Hospital Foundation